Carbon monoxide (CO) is often called the “silent killer” this is because it is odorless, tasteless, and cannot be seen. Making this toxic gas one of the most overlooked dangers in homes today.
Indoor Air Quality Tests: Why are they important?
Carbon Monoxide Testing
Did you know… The most accurate way to detect the presence of carbon monoxide is with an indoor air quality test?
These tests are performed by professionals and can help to pinpoint any problems so that they can be remedied quickly. When a technician from Air Dynamics HVAC visits your home or place of business we perform our carbon monoxide testing with a specialized tool that provides the precise measurement of the level of (CO) in a given area.
This device differs from consumer-level detectors as it can be calibrated to detect (CO) from as little as nearly zero parts per million (ppm).
Electric furnaces, electric water heaters, electric ovens, and all other electrically powered devices operating normally do not produce carbon monoxide.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide in the Home
Artificial heating is one source of carbon monoxide in the home; it can also be the biggest contributor to dangerous (CO) levels if your unit is ill-maintained or left unchecked. This is especially true for older HVAC systems or gas water heaters that have not been properly vented.
It is important to note however that (CO) can come from other fuel-fired sources as well, including:
- Gas ranges and stoves
- Gas clothes dryers
- Portable fuel-burning space heaters
- Wood-burning stoves
- Gas water heaters
- Vehicles running in an attached garage
- Charcoal/gas grills
- Portable generators
The CDC estimates that close to 450 people will die from (CO) exposure annually. While approximately another 20,000 will be admitted into the E.R. as a result of unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. In general, the number of reported (CO) cases peak during winter months when heating systems are working overtime. To keep you and your family safe, it is important to understand the various sources of carbon monoxide in your home.
Professional Testing by HVAC Technicians
Even New Equipment Needs to Be Tested
If your home has a furnace, hot water tank, gas oven, or any other fuel-burning appliance(s); it is important to hire an HVAC professional who understands exactly how these combustion devices operate, to properly inspect/ install your unit. You and your family’s safety depend on the proper installation and/or occasional adjustment of these units. In order to provide maximum efficiency and ensure minimal exposure to Carbon Monoxide (CO) exposure.
What should I do if I suspect dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in my home?
While having a (CO) detector in your home is better than nothing at all, by the time you are alerted to a problem; it is likely that you and your family will already be experiencing the ill effects of (CO) inhalation.
- What should I do if I suspect the presence of carbon monoxide in my home? First, open all of the windows and doors and turn off any stoves, your HVAC system, and the water heater. Leave your home/building and call 911 or your local fire department right away.
- If you or anyone else in your home is experiencing symptoms of (CO) poisoning; be sure to have everyone evacuate the home immediately, leaving the door open. Contact your local fire department or 911 right away from a phone outside of your home.
- If your fire department finds or suspects that there are/were dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home; they may encourage you to call your heating service provider. If so, please call us immediately at (215) 571-9471 to have one of our technicians safely identify the cause.
What do I do when my CO alarm sounds?
Don’t ignore a CO alarm if it is sounding! Open any doors or windows that can easily allow fresh air to enter the home. If you are experiencing symptoms, I
It’s About Your Health and Safety
At Air Dynamics, our HVAC professionals understand that they are often the first line of defense when it comes to spotting and intervening in a situation where carbon monoxide is present in your home. As such, our techs will always take steps to protect the residents. By using the proper equipment, knowledge, and being aware of the levels that may pose a danger. You can rest assured that we will be able to help you accurately identify the cause & recommend/rectify the issue if there is one present.