Warning Signs you may have a Carbon Monoxide leak in your Home

Air Dynamics HVAC | Greater Philadelphia HVAC Services | Carbon Monoxide Warning Signs

All Fuel-burning appliances and engines produce carbon monoxide, as do some chemical products, such as paint strippers. When CO-producing products are used with appropriate ventilation and fuel-burning appliances are working properly, there isn’t normally a cause for concern. But if CO-producing products are used in a closed space, carbon monoxide can quickly build up to dangerous levels. At Air Dynamics, we recommend being aware of the following warning signs that could indicate a potential carbon monoxide leak in your home or office.


Air Dynamics HVAC | Danger Carbon Monoxide warning

Carbon Monoxide Leak: What To Look For

  • Flames or pilot lights on your gas stove that are normally blue have now turned yellow.
  • Your pilot light on your gas stove or furnace continually goes out.
    • IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a sign it could be malfunctioning and emitting carbon monoxide
  • Moisture building up on windows and walls, especially if they are in close proximity to a fuel-burning appliance.
    • IMPORTANT NOTE: Condensation could also be the result of excessive moisture in your home. It’s important to rule out other possibilities before concluding it may be a carbon monoxide leak
  • A sudden stale or stuffy smell in a clean home that is not normally present otherwise.
  • You notice a burning smell.
    • IMPORTANT NOTE: The smell wouldn’t necessarily be from carbon monoxide itself. Rather it could be an indicator that you potentially have other toxic gases currently being emitted from malfunctioning equipment. 
  • Members of your household are feeling unwell and appear to get better when leaving the home.
Early symptoms of exposure to CO, after breathing it for a short time, include:
  • Dull headache
  • Shortness of breath during mild exertion
  • Weakness or fatigue
  • Dizziness
Continued exposure to high levels of CO may result in:

  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Visual disturbances, such as blurred vision
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Unconsciousness potentially leading to death

If you suspect you or a loved one has been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide DO NOT WAIT immediately seek medical attention. A blood test will be able to accurately confirm or negate the presence of carbon monoxide in your body.

To have your home tested for unsafe levels of carbon monoxide contact a professional at Air Dynamics HVAC today!

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Carbon Monoxide Testing

Importance of Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement

Pennsylvania Carbon Monoxide Alarm Standards Act

Pollution Solutions for Any Home


Don't Miss Out!

Sign up now and receive exclusive offers including coupons, contests, news & more.

NO SPAM GUARANTEE! We will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can easily unsubscribe at any time.